Sunday, March 8, 2009

I found these quotes recently (God bless wikiquote), and I think they pretty much define a lot of my feelings on writing, in a sense.  Or rather, they exemplify my attitude towards the content of my stories and why I write the way I write, among other things.  What do you all think?

I do not think the forest would be so bright, nor the water so warm, nor love so sweet, if there were no danger in the lakes.
-C.S. Lewis
A pleasure is full grown only when it is remembered.
-C.S. Lewis

God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.
-C.S. Lewis

Every poet and musician and artist, but for Grace, is drawn away from love of the thing he tells to love of the telling till, down in Deep Hell, they cannot be interested in God at all but only in what they say about Him.
-C.S. Lewis

Writing is a bit like shitting...if it's coming in dribs and drabs or not coming at all, or being forced out, or if you're missing the rhythm, it's no pleasure at all.
-Germaine Greer

Text-messaging or The Sun, these are perfect Orwellian ways of limiting the vocabulary and thus limiting the consciousness.
-Alan Moore

All I do is track a profane route to something (I hope) profound. Like swimming a river of shit for a kiss.
-Chuck Palahniuk

No comments: