Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Working late...

Maybe it was the lame attempt at humor, or the off-putting accusations hidden behind it, like dirty secrets whispered in hallways at classy parties. I think it was probably a little bit of both. The whole idea became very sickening to me after I emerged from the world of evangelical Bible colleges and youth group retreats and prayer meetings and standing on soapboxes on liberal street corners to shout down the devil. It was billboard evangelism, t-shirt slogan witnessing. Branded salvation. Religion was becoming a business, and where was my Christ to weave a whip and turn over the money changers’ tables? How low can one religion sink? I’d never heard of a faith carrying an idea to such an absurd and pointless end. Where were the clever marquees posted outside of buddhist temples? What wit did the local synagogue or mosque have to offer?


Work on the novel is speeding up. I'm pretty stoked.

No comments: