Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Cold Open...

As of right now, this is how the second draft of my novel, In Name Only, begins. Let me know if you think it is a good hook for the reader.


When I was very young, at an age when I shouldn’t have been asking questions, I asked Pastor Ruhlen if Jesus was the one who let my father die. He smiled his big showy smile, just like any good salesman would, and told me to go memorize my Bible verses and lean not on my own understanding. I memorized parts of Psalms and Proverbs. I tried very hard not to lean on my own understanding, which I didn’t quite understand, ironically enough. But I didn’t get the answer I wanted.

When I was older, but no wiser, I asked Jesus if He was the one who let my father die.

He would not answer, but only said, “I love you.”

At the time, it was all I needed to hear.


What do you think? Give me some opinions.

No comments: